This delicious grilled chicken sandwich recipe features tender grilled chicken on a bed of lettuce, tomato, and mayo sandwiched between two slices of toasted French bread. Bacon and provolone cheese can also be added to the sandwiches.
This grilled chicken sandwich recipe makes a simple and tasty weeknight dinner, or a low key weekend meal.
And like so many other good sandwiches: the secret’s in the sauce.😉👌🏻 Seriously, don’t skip the sauce part, y’all. It makes this grilled chicken sandwich next-level incredible.
Here is how to make this yummy grilled chicken sandwich. Place your hand on top of each chicken breast and carefully slice each breast in half, lengthwise. Use kitchen scissors or a knife to trim any excess fat from the chicken.
In a medium bowl combine the lemon, olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, pepper and honey and mix well to combine.
Place the chicken into a bowl of shallow dish and pour the marinade over the chicken.
Heat up a grill, grill pan or cast iron pan to medium heat and add some oil to prevent sticking. Lay the chicken onto the pan and cook each piece for 3 minutes per side until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
Grilled chicken sandwich recipe
Grilled chicken sandwiches make a simple and tasty weeknight dinner, or a low key weekend meal. Easy and delicious!
Simple, timeless, and downright delicious Grilled Chicken Sandwiches are the BEST! If you own a grill, you should be able to master the perfect chicken sandwich. This easy recipe calls for marinated chicken, a hot grill, and some of the best sandwich fixings!
This grilled chicken sandwich is juicy, flavorful, and so easy to make. So skip the drove-thru and make this at home!
The magic of this recipe lies in the marinade–it’s made with herbs, garlic, and lemon juice. All of the simple yet flavorful ingredients work together to make the chicken tasty as can be while keeping it traditional.
So you can add whatever toppings you want without worrying about clashing flavors! Cheddar cheese, bacon, tomatoes, and more get piled high atop the grilled chicken and make each bite of this sandwich better than the last.
Make Grilled Chicken Sandwiches for a party or just for an unforgettable dinner with the family. No matter when or where you choose to enjoy them, everyone will rave about these! I always recommend setting up a topping bar, so that everyone can enjoy their sandwich exactly how they want it.
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
white wine vinegar
fresh dill, chopped
garlic and herb seasoning blend (such as Mrs. Dash®)
ground black pepper
mayonnaise, or to taste
1. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
2. Prick chicken breasts all over with a fork, then place in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, dill, garlic and herb seasoning, and black pepper to the bowl. Stir to coat chicken breasts thoroughly. Let stand for 10 minutes.
3. Remove chicken breasts from marinade; discard marinade.
4. Cook chicken on the preheated grill until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, 10 to 15 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a breast should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken to a cutting board; let stand for 5 minutes, then cut chicken breasts in half.
5. Melt butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle garlic powder and salt over butter and oil. Add French bread slices to the skillet; toast until golden brown on one side, about 3 minutes; remove from the pan.
6. For sandwich assembly, place 1 French bread slice, toasted-side down, onto a serving plate. Spread mayonnaise on bread; top with a tomato slice, then season with salt and pepper. Cover with a grilled chicken breast half and lettuce leaf. Spread untoasted side of another French bread slice with mayonnaise and place on top to make a sandwich.
1. Feel free to use boneless, skinless thighs in place of the breasts.
2. Marinate the chicken for 3-24 hours for the best results. If you’re short on time, even just 30 minutes will do wonders, though!
3. Don’t be afraid to pound the chicken pieces to ½-inch thickness. This will allow the chicken to cook more evenly.
4. Watch the chicken carefully and take it off the heat at 165°F. Overcooked chicken can become rubbery and unpleasant.
5. To get picture-perfect grill marks, make sure your grill is preheated to 350-450°F before adding the chicken.
6. Let the grilled chicken rest for 10 minutes before serving and/or cutting. This will help keep the juices in!
7. Use your family’s favorite buns or sandwich rolls. These would be great on brioche or ciabatta buns. While I recommend serving these sandwiches with the classics, like mayo and mustard, you can kick them up a notch by using homemade mayo or adding sriracha, hot sauce, or barbecue sauce!
8. Classic toppings are great, but you could also change it up and add avocado, guacamole, pico de gallo, onion rings, pesto sauce, or really any other toppings you can think of!
9. Storage: Store grilled chicken breasts in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Can I make grilled chicken sandwiches with chicken thighs?
You sure can! Use boneless, skinless thighs, and be sure to monitor them and cook to 165°F internally.
How long do I really need to marinate chicken breasts before I grill them?
30 minutes is adequate, but ideally at least 3 or up to 24 hours. The longer you marinate chicken, the better and more flavorful it becomes!
Can I cook these chicken breasts in the oven instead of on the grill?
Yes, you can. Place the breasts on a baking sheet and bake in a 375°F oven for 15-20 minutes, or until 165°F internally. Truthfully, you can also cook these chicken breasts on the stovetop in a grill pan or cast iron pan as well.
What kind of cheese should I add to grilled chicken sandwiches?
Use your favorite cheese! I like cheddar or muenster for a classic chicken sandwich, but fresh mozzarella would be great for a Caprese-style sandwich!