1. How many microspore mother cells are required to produce 1000 microspores/pollen grains?
Answer: (d) 250
2. Which of the following represents the female gametophyte in angiosperms?
(b) Embryo sac
Answer: (b) Embryo sac
3. In a breeding experiment, the selected male parent is diploid and the female parent is tetraploid. What will be the ploidy level of the endosperm that will develop after double fertilisation?
Answer: (d) Pentaploid
4. The development of fruits without fertilisation of the ovary, is called
Answer: (b) Parthenocarpy
5. When the pollen of a flower is transferred to the stigma of another flower on the same plant, the process is known as
Answer: (b) Geitonogamy
6. The number of meiotic divisions, required to produce 400 seeds in a pea plant, is
Answer: (d) 500
7. What is the function of filiform apparatus in an angiospermic embryo sac?
(a) Brings about opening of the pollen tube
(b) Guides the pollen tube into a synergid
(c) Prevents entry of more than one pollen tube into a synergid
(d) None of these
Answer: (b) Guides the pollen tube into a synergid
8. The female gametophyte of a typical dicot at the time of fertilisation is
(a) 8 – celled
(b) 7 – celled
(c) 6 – celled
(d) 5 – celled
Answer: (b)7 – celled
9. Polygonum type of embryo sac is
(a) 8 – nucleate, 7 – celled
(b) 8 – nucleate, 8 – celled
(c) 7 – nucleate, 7 – celled
(d) 4 – nucleate, 3 – celled
Answer: (a)8 – nucleate, 7 – celled
10. Both chasmogamous and cleistogamous flowers are present in
11. Even in absence of pollinating agents seed-setting is assured in
12. Male and female flowers are present on different plants (dioecious) to ensure xenogamy, in
(b) bottle gourd
(d) all of these.
13. Feathery stigma occurs in
14. Feathery stigma occurs in
15. Which of the following is not a water pollinated plant ?
16. Spiny or sticky pollen grains and large, attractively coloured flowers are associated with